[OM] fly like the eagles

Subject: [OM] fly like the eagles
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:57:02 -0600
A month or so ago, I seem to remember a thread about eagle watching, in
Iowa, I think. Recently, my wife and her brother went to a funeral where her
parents live in SW Missouri. We had heard about a large group of bald eagles
living near her parents, so she took a camera. What she saw was remarkable.
What she learned about autofocus cameras was not.

The eagles winter very near the town of Wheaton, which is at the
intersection of highway 86 and highway W. (City dwellers: make your jokes at
the expense of mssrs. Wichman and Bean now. A little banjo music will help.)
They are attracted there by what are called chicken plants, those are the
factory like farms where Tyson and others raise jillions of chickens in
questionable circumstances.

At last official count, there were about 150 eagles living there. Thats
right, 150! There are about 50 pairs that live and reproduce there year
around, thanks to the readily available food. Press reports indicate that
they are feeding on discarded carcasses, but locals report that at least one
farmer releases at least a half dozen chickens each morning for the bird's
dining enjoyment.

I don't know directions to the area where they live, or if it is on a marked
road, but it should be easy to just look to the sky, as there are generally
quite a few soaring. I think there is a convenience store on the highway,
perhaps they could give directions. Bear in mind, though, that this may not
be for those prone to fainting while eating pretzels.  Eagles have poor
table manners. The dirt roads are covered with feathers, and parts. It seems
that eagles don't eat heads and feet. They just drop them somewhere.

Wheaton isn't the easiest place to find, although those of you in the Tulsa
area can get most of the way via I44. I think your exit is a bit past
Joplin. For some of you (Mr. Wichman), this may be unpleasantly
overpopulated, but most will find it very remote. Highway access from other
directions will involve two lane roads. Lots of them. For sports car owners,
good ones, though. My opinions may be colored by in-law overpopulation.

Some of you may know that the choice of our national bird (why have one?)
was made between the bald eagle and the turkey. This area is also home to
numerous turkey farms/factorys. Could it be that the winner is eating the
looser?

Happy driving and shooting. Just don't take and AF camera.

Bill Pearce