Re: [OM] OM lens fascination

Subject: Re: [OM] OM lens fascination
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 03:55:12 -0600
> accept other Zuikos you mentioned. May be one of the possibility is
> focusing problem, the wide angles has to be focused very carefully,
> don't expect DOF can cover slightly off focus, you need very sharp
> focusing. To me only focus on the matte area can do, no split image!

Good point there!
Also, is the camera being moved or, are you shooting all of these from the
same distance?

With a large enough newpaper sample or samples, you should be able to test
all of the lenses from the same distance which, I think is important.
With the wide-angles, to fill the frame, you would have to be much closer
and, they are harder to focus and, would have less depth of field.

I think that you should choose the closest subject distance that all of the
lenses
can focus and, go from there.  Or, at least choose a reasonable compromise.
On the 35-80 that you liked so well, what focal lengths did you test it at
and,
did you zoom in to focus (of course you did - who wouldn't).
Same with the 90mm.  Easy to tell focus, far enough away to have some DOF.
I think C.H. could be onto something here...

If they are "soft" all over then, something is probably wrong with the
testing procedure.