[OM] loose lens?

Subject: [OM] loose lens?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:35:57 -0700
 I just collected the Vivitar 90/2.5 S1 macro I got from e*ay yesterday, and
the condition worries me slightly. The glass is fine; there's a small mark
in the coating on the front, but no fungus/scratches/dust -- the body shows
obvious signs of use, nothing critical -- but the lens itself is, somehow,
'loose'.

 The lens is structured in the following 'sections' (from the outside, at
least):

 body mount
 aperture adjusting ring
 bit with aperture display
 bit I turn to focus
 inner bit that moves in and out when I focus (ah, precise terminology
here..)

 The "join" between the aperture adjusting ring and the rest of the lens is
a bit loose; if I push on the aperture adjusting ring, I can slide it in and
out by about 1mm or so (I can tell this is happening by looking at the
motion of the aperture numbers in the display window). When it's mounted on
a camera, I can feel it rattling slightly as I move it, because all the
heavy bits of glass are further out than the loose bit.

 Looking at the back, all the screws I can see there seem to be tight
enough; but it feels as if something further inside isn't tightened down
properly, or worn, or something along those lines.

 I have a couple of questions for those that know this sort of thing:

 1. is this likely to affect image quality? I've taken some test shots I'm
going to get developed today, so I can see for myself -- but it seems likely
that it will, because it's moving the elements around in ways that they're
probably not meant to be moved.

 2. is this likely to be easily (at all, even) reparable? If so, is this
fixable by hand, or is it a professional-only job?

 thanks,

 -- dan