Re: [OM] Why bigger images are better 4.3

Subject: Re: [OM] Why bigger images are better 4.3
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:00:07 -0500
Dear Joe

On Tuesday, January 22, 2002 at 7:39, Joe Gwinn <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Why bigger images are better 4.2" saying:
> At 9:25 PM -0500 1/20/02, Joe Gwinn wrote:
> >At my company XMAS party, somebody was using a 2.1-megapixel point&shoot
> >with a built-in pipsqueak flash.  The photos were terrible -- looked flat
> >and cartoonish, especially faces.  Part of this was due to the photo
> >exceeding the gamut (color range) of the inkjet color printer, but the
> >photos weren't that great on the screen either.  They would have been far
> >better off with a film camera, even a $10 disposable camera.
>
> The above is a comparison of two low-end point&shoot cameras, and yet it
> triggered a religious war on the cosmic merits of digital versus film.  The
> odd thing was how many people spoke of their wonderful results with their
> wonderful equipment, but it was never made clear how these examples related
> to a pair of low end P&S cameras.  Clearly, this is a deeply felt issue.

I've just bought a used 1.4mp OlympusD600L digital SLR. One image I printed
out, slightly cropped, at 8x10.5" on my Lexmark Z31 $100 inkjet. It's
marvellously sharp - I was really amazed at the detail in the teeth and
eyelashes of a double portrait.

Maybe my eyes are getting old. They're almost 56 years old now, a little
older than my teeth.

But this camera is telling me that digital is on its way.

> It's quite clear that in twenty years time digital will have almost totally
> replaced film, and I for one am very interested in what Olympus' new digital
> system will look like.  Given Olympus' history, it should cause the other
> camera manufacturers to scramble to catch up, just as the OM system did in
> 1972.  It should be fun to watch.

Maybe. Their P&Ss have been the most successful. We'll have to see what the
market says. There does seem to be a big opportunity here for a camera with
versatile accessories & high quality at a reasonable price, both for
advanced amateurs, and for journalism.

> Anyway, it's time to stop this thread.  Religious issues cannot be settled
> by debate.

Especially when the religions keep changing.

tOM
------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714