RE: [OM] OT-Olympus Pen (was The end of OM??)

Subject: RE: [OM] OT-Olympus Pen (was The end of OM??)
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:01:47 -0500
Cc: voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Pen F/FT/FV's are about the same size as a Leica M6. But they fit into a little bag easier than an OM body due to their flat top. (I like my M's though. If they only didn't cost so much. :-( )

A good Pen F w/38/1.8 should cost about $175-275, depending on condition. An FT maybe $50 more. IMO, I'd start with an F rather than with an FT. Why? Brighter viewfinder. Issues? Double stroke film advance, no microprism, no in-camera meter. But remember that the FT's meter is a pain-in-the-ass read-the-meter-number and transfer-it-to-the-lens system. And the numbers on the lenses are proprietary 0-7. There were lots of those my-system-is-better-than-your system before coupled meters were developed.

Hmmm.... A film camera to carry a lot. My favorites? Rollei 35, Minox 35, or Olympus XA. All VERY small, good lenses, rugged. Rollei & Minox are scale focus, the XA is a rangefinder. Rollei is manual exposure, Minox and XA are auto exposure. Similar prices, ranging from $125 to $250. The 70's compacts are options too.

Skip