Re: [OM] 28-80 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 28-80 lens
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:34:54 -0600 (CST)

> Here's a nice looking example of the Tamron lens others have made mention
> of.  Don't personally have this one, but my other Tamron lenses are top
> notch.  No connection etc....
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1322922971

I've been using one for years. It's way ahead of the Zuiko 35-70
zooms in resistance to flare, which is a real problem for all of the
older ones, especially the f/4 and f/3.5-4.5. I haven't tried the
newer "Zuikosina", or the 35-80. Several years ago I ran a series of
tests shooting toward the sun, both with the front element fully
shaded and fully exposed to direct sunlight. I tested a late SC
50/1.8 (not silver-nose :)), the Tamron SP 28-80, the 35-70/4, and
the 35-70/3.5-4.5. Both 35-70s were far worse than the 50 and the
Tamron, which were both quite good, with the 50 having a tiny edge.

The down side is that's huge and heavy. Also 67mm filters.

Paul Farrar