Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x7???

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x7???
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:22:18 -0600 (CST)

> 24mm x 36mm = 864mm^2
> 600mm x 700mm = 420000mm^2
>
> Given the difference.. WOW!  I'm curious, I understand field work, action
> shots, etc..  BUT, why would someone use a 35mm in the studio then??  6x4.5,
> 6x6 or 6x7, just has such HUGE advantages it's not funny..  Ok, I'm doing
> the math here..

6x7 is 60mm by 70mm, not 600mm by 700mm. Actually, it's slightly smaller,
2-1/4" by 2-3/4", nominally. 120 negatives are usually about 57-58mm
wide. Since 6x7 matches the shape of papers more closely, you get about
a 2.5 larger, linearly, negative. Which is about 6, or so, times the
area. That's enough to make a substantial increase in quality for things
like calendars and magazine ads.

Paul