: [OM] Digital camera downfalls -slightly OT

Subject: : [OM] Digital camera downfalls -slightly OT
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 18:05:51 -0000
I still prefer film, though it is obviously more expensive, takes up too
much room, & can be a pain to find what you want.  (After 25 years, anyway
;)  ) The immediacy of digital has it's uses, but I suspect most of us don't
need it too often.  But where film does score is longevity.  Who knows what
medium will be around in 10 years time?  Also the format, will Photoshop 26
still read today's files?  At least slides & negatives can be scanned, I
could print out a 10" x 8" glass negative, if I had any!  Seriously though,
Digital makes it easy to print photographs from 100 years ago or more, taken
on film that is now obsolete. The industry MUST make sure we'll be able to
print today's digital photographs in 3002.
  Also, people should seriously think before pressing the button to delete
"bad" shots.  Today's snaps become tommorow's family heirlooms, and all too
quickly. Shots of towns & cities, even landscapes change, we have some sort
of duty to preserve the present for our successors.

***Original Messages***