Re: [OM] Film Advance Lever Stuck??

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Advance Lever Stuck??
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 15:34:12 -0800
Dean:

Questions:

1. Does the battery check light up, and is it steady?
2. Is the mirror in viewing position, or is the mirror locked up?
3. Have you tried switching the camera to the "B" position?

I have this comment in my archive file from John Hermanson:

"See if you can wind the camera by turning the sprocket with your
thumb-- if so, and the shutter otherwise operates normally, that's a
very
positive sign.  Your problem is likely in the wind clutch itself,
which can be replaced or cleaned.

If the camera can't be wound this way, it could be that the camera
jammed and someone forced the wind lever, breaking the clutch.  In
that case, not only would the wind clutch have to be replaced/rebuilt,
but
also whatever other malfunction that jammed the camera in the first
place (debris in the gears somewhere, "crossed" gears, broken shutter
roller, etc.) would have to be corrected."

John was speaking of an OM-1, but I think the mechanical aspects of the
OM-1 are very similar to the OM-2.

Another quote from John:

"If shutter  is locked up (mirror up, curtain pattern showing) push
lever to "reset"  position.  In some cases shutter will fire, mirror
will come
down. Turning shutter speed ring to "B" will do the same thing.  If
mirror
doesn't come down, something else is wrong.  If mirror is already down,
shutter cocked, but it still won't fire, something else is wrong.  It is
assumed that good silver oxide 1.5V batteries are already installed and
you
get a steady red LED in the battery check position."

Good luck!

Bill Stanke