[OM] What's wrong with my OM4?

Subject: [OM] What's wrong with my OM4?
From: "Steve Goss" <steveg3@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 00:13:37 -0500
My OM-4T suddenly started acting up tonight.
The set up was:
OM-4T, extension tube, 50mm f1.4 on a tripod, T32 and bounce grip
2 connected by a 2meter T cable, handheld. Lens at f8, shutter at
60, auto. Self timer turned on.
Because I wanted some more light on the subject, I set the
exposure compensation dial to +1.
When I pressed the shutter, the aperture prefired, the mirror
went up, and the camera started beeping. It went through the low
pitched beeps, the high pitched beeps, and then started on the
low pitched beeps again. The only way to clear it was to set the
switch to self test.
I was almost done with the roll, so I finished using the manual
60, and put in a roll of Seattle Filmworks film I use for testing.
The camera would work properly with no speed compensation, with
+1/3, and with +2/3, but not with +1.
Figuring I would just use +2/3 instead of +1, I reloaded a real
roll of film, and found that +2/3 didn't work any more.
Back with the test film, and none of the settings on the
compensation dial including zero, work.

I tried two other sets of batteries, one new. No difference. For
the later tests I turned off the self timer, but that didn't help.

What is going on here?

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa