Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 16:49:40 EST
In a message dated 1/2/02 6:47:53 AM Pacific Standard Time, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
writes:

> The problem is, people that get them as gifts HATE the storage and
>  transfer required, and the thick manuals in order to actually make the
>  prints- don't tell me it's really easy guys- I'm talking 'general public'

Yep, I agree George.  Just went thru set-up and configuration with my sister
& bro-in-law's computer and Sony digicam (DCS DP50 -- 2.1 megapixel).  They
weren't able to do it and didn't have a clue.  First thing I had told her
weeks/months back is that she needed more memory in her old Compaq computer
(which was on the carpet, under her hutch, in the dog & cat hair for five
years...).  So I installed 2-128Mb DIMMs, then started in on the digicam
stuff.  Spent several hours.  Every time I asked her a question, she didn't
know or gave the "wrong" answer.  When I asked the bro-in-law, he replied,
"You're asking the wrong guy."  They watched tv the entire time I went at the
computer.  Only when I finally got pics up on the screen did they take the
slightest interest in what I was doing.  Then they came and sat beside me and
said things like "Make it bigger!", and "Put a frame around it".  "Print that
one!"  I informed them they better get some more printer cartridges, fast.  I
told them now it is up to them to learn how to use all the camera's features
and the editing software.  Bro-in-law is already realizing that he needs more
and bigger flash memory modules, another downloading do-hickey.  I don't
think there's a sky filter over the lens.  Every time he picks it up, he
rolls it around in his hands, looking for the right buttons, dials, plugs,
etc..  As if he just found himself in the cockpit of an F-18.

Typical consumers, I think.  From the start, computing was going to make life
so much easier.  Setup and configuration is still about as much fun as being
out on the streets of New York after dark when the steel gates are down over
the shop fronts.  You HAVE to be somewhat computer geeky to get much out of
your computer, digital camera, etc..  I think MANY more P&S cameras will be
purchased, keeping the 1 hour labs in business for years to come.  And/or,
many digital users will simply go to a store and have the store download and
create photo CDs for them.  The learning curve is pretty steep for a lot of
consumers who were never more than P&S customers to start.  The "hi tec"
industry continues to oversell "ease of use".

The ONE benefit I see of them getting a digital is that now, with 3
grandkids, they will take many pics, and I can introduce them to depth of
field, composition, bokeh, etc..  They may not be able to do much with bokeh,
etc. but at least they'll be learning about basic photography, although not
nearly as well as they would with an OM-1.

Rich (staying with conventional film for at least another year)