[OM] Re: Prism Foam

Subject: [OM] Re: Prism Foam
From: AndyJRadcliffe@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 03:19:10 EST
Just thought that this might be of interest to someone, especially from the
UK.
Yesterday I got my tools out and removed the top ,plate from my OM-1(first
one I owned, I bought it in 75' but it was manf. in 73). The intention was to
swop the damaged ASA dial for a good one(thanks for the help on this BTW.)
What I found under there was a pile of "liquid" which in an earlier life used
to be foam I guess!! Now everyone will be thinking "what does he expect from
a 29yr. old camera" and I would agree except that 18 months ago it was sent
for a CLA (to an Olympus UK recommended repairer-( names in a moment!!) with
specific instructions that this foam be replaced. I just cannot believe that
any technician would rebuild a camera and leave it like that! Took me the
best part of the morning to remove the prism, clean all the gunk off
everywhere ,find a suitable piece of neoprene as a replacement and rebuild. I
don't begrudge the time , except I thought I'd already paid someone else to
do the job.
In fairness, all the other work seems to have been OK - that is  to say it
all works as it should which certainly wasn't the case before the service
.Suffice it to say that Camera Clinic, Tyne and Wear. won't be getting any
more work from me - they were recommended as they are one of the closest Oly.
accredited repairers to me.
I think any OM-1 repairs will maybe go to a guy called Ed. Trzoska who does
my Zeiss Ikon Icarex work -( he won't touch anything like the 4/4Ti though,
only mechanical stuff )- does anyone have experience of a really good
repairer for OM gear in the UK?
Luckily the prism only seems to have very minor silvering damage which
wouldn't be noticed if you weren't really looking for it ( that's the hard
bit - trying not to really look!!) Swopped the ASA dial too ,so killed two
birds with one stone.Good job I deceided to do that dial- serendipity
really!! Sorry this has gone on a bit - most unlike me!!

cheers

Andy Radcliffe.