Re: [OM] Alberta Alert: Name Those Mountains!

Subject: Re: [OM] Alberta Alert: Name Those Mountains!
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 09:34:27 -0800
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> At 10:08 PM 1/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >John Hudson wrote:

> > > The ax-edged peak is Mount Rundle. The photo was taken from a path
> > > running very close to the Bow River about a 20 minute walk from the
> > > centre of Banff. My wife and I have worn out many pairs of shoes and
> > > boots in this immediate area!
> >
> >I forget to mention the second photo, sorry. I will have to check the
> >Alberta tourist guide. By way of note, the next G7 summit [remember the
> >Battle of Seattle, and the other riotous gatherings in Quebec City,
> >Genoa, etc] is set for later this year in a setting very similar to that
> >in Joel's second photo. Either the protesters are going to storm down
> >out of the mountains or will decide to turn Calgary upside down instead!
>
> Betty Chapman wrote me offlist that the second peak is Mount Chephren and
> the water is Upper Waterfowl Lake.  I think there is a resort across from
> where I was shooting.  A Taj-ish looking, terra cotta colored building --
> extremely fetching against the blue green forest and mountains.  I suppose
> that could be the location for the summit?

I think the terra-cotta like building could be the Num-ti-jah Lodge on
Bow Lake a few miles north of Lake Louise. See

www.num-ti-jah.com

Check also

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/destinations/Banff_National_Park/Icefields_Parkway_Drive.html#upperwaterfowllake

under Hector Lake and Upper Waterfowl Lake

As to the pronunciation of "Bow" in Bow River it is as in bow tie and
rhymes with no.

The upcoming G7 summit is being hosted at the Kananaskis resort which is
~50 miles south west of Calgary

Take a look at

http://www.kananaskisvalley.com/

for what is a very pretty area for the best of golfing, skiing, and
walking.

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC