[OM] Your lens is in the mail...

Subject: [OM] Your lens is in the mail...
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:29:15 -0600
"Glad the photo arrived safely, and glad you liked it!  I'll have some
difficulty travelling any further from home for next year's shot, so I think
I'll probably have to vow to travel less for it."
Through fortunate circumstances, I'll be in Spain and Portugal in June, and
Austria in September. Since I plan to participate again, perhaps I will be
sending something shot at a distance next Christmas...

"I'd just like to say thanks to Ira Kahn for sending me TWO beautiful
prints,
and to Bob Gries for doing the organising.  I hope it'll all happen again
next year."
I know this is easy for me to say, but I  nominate Bob to do it again.

"Oh, and Bill - I'm certain a Zuiko 28/2 would indeed help my photography,
so
perhaps in the Christmas spirit you'd care to send one my way... (I'd be
happy with a 28/2.8 at a pinch)

Roger"
Here's why you won't get my 28/2, and why I recommend you check out Tom
Scale's moving sale:
I have always gone with common wisdom. When I got serious in photography,
something like 1969, I had a Spotmatic with a 50. I wanted to upgrade (I've
always hated screw mount lenses), so I went Nikon F. My first lens was a
35/2, and was my standard for quite some time. I always subscribed to the
"macro is the only 50 worth having" school, and later, added the 50/3.5.

In the mid seventies, a friend was selling an OM1 with 50/3.5 and 100/2.8. I
bought it for my wife, who used it for quiite some time. I kept noticing
that her chromes looked visibly better than mine. We ended up with another
OM1 for her, and a 35-105, and I inherited the 50 and 100. My next lens was
a 24. I had one for my F, and liked the 24-50 macro-105 combination, which
was that decade's version of common wisdom. Over the years, I added a
75-150, a real dog, and the 200/5, just too dim, and the 300/4.5. I dumped
the zoom and the 200, got the 35-70/3.6 and the 200/4, and was seemingly
happy. Years later, I got the 35/2, a great and useful lens, and then the 18
and the 21/2, as I become more interested in wide angles. Do you note a
thread?

No, I had never owned a 28. Either too much or not enough, I thought.
Finally, for a variety of reasons, I caved in, and got a 28/2 from Tom. It
has turned out to be one of my favorites! I only wish I had made the move
years ago. So, Roger, I must say sorry, but you'll pry my 28 out of my cold,
dead fingers!

Oh, and recently, I got a 50/1.2 from Tom. Love it!

Bill Pearce