Re: [OM] Fang o' the Day

Subject: Re: [OM] Fang o' the Day
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 21:10:39 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, John A. Lind wrote:

> First thing I check is the seller feedback looking specifically for camera
> items and the number of seller transactions.  Some have high numbers buying
> or selling CD's and paperback books . . . small stuff.  If anything doesn't
> feel right, especially if the "BS" detector is sounding alarms, and they
> cannot be resolved by some communication with the seller, I walk away from
> the auction.  There's always another lens on another day.

Yeah, it's hard to call these types of auctions.  This seller definitely
seems to fall into the "buy and sell everything" category.  That probably
explains why the lens was priced so out of line with going rates.  Of course
that also means that they don't know how to properly evaluate a lens.  For
$100 it's worth taking the chance that it'll all work out (it usually does).

> The photo in this one worried me too.

It's not the greatest photo, but if you look at their other auctions, all the
other photos are just as bad.  At least they are consistent which means they
probably aren't trying to cover anything up.  The photo is at least good
enough to see that it is an f2 and not an f2.8 lens.
                                -mark