[OM] Image storage

Subject: [OM] Image storage
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:06:51 +1300
Hello fellow Zuikoholics,

I've just been out and snagged a nice price of wood with which to make a
camera body. No, it won't be an OM derivative. For inspiration, look at a
CLABO STW; or a Plaubel 6x9 Wide Supershift. It's the bit in the middle I
lack.

Some people have spoken about storage of image files and how they are
filling up their several-gigabyte hard-drives.

Imagine how they / you'd manage if you were storing hi-resolution scans of 6
x 17 negs from a Crossfield Drum scanner? (Linhof Technorama). They're
more than 100 MB each.

What will the photo industry do to take care of old image files in 5 years'
time?  Ten years' time? Forty years' time? Will the media and the software
still exist that are needed  to access them?  The speed of change in the
computer industry has me doubt it. When did you last see an 8-inch floppy
disk - (if ever). They were in use in my employer's office 10 years ago for
word-processing.. Now you try and find a machine to read them. What about
punched cards for computer input?  I last used them 20 years ago. Could
you find a card-reader now?

Physical negatives and slides are a piece of cake to store, index and retrieve
by comparison. And B+W especially, have a very long life.

I'm picking that there will be a future for non-digital photography for quite
some time. It might have reduced choices, but I reckon it will still be there.
And if the worst comes to the worst, back to the days of make-your-own
glass negatives!

Now there's a thought!  We have the nice lenses now. Who ever heard of
35mm glass negs?

Brian
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!