[OM] Infrared Film and OMs

Subject: [OM] Infrared Film and OMs
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:48:22 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Bruce Hamm" <bhamm@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Infared Film and OMs
> doing a bit of web based research on tips and techniques and I discovered
> that the dimpled pattern on the film pressure plate on OM backs may cause a
> problem with IR film. Has anyone here witnessed this?

No problem with Maco 820c. The problem should only be with films
which lack an anti-halation backing (allowing light to strike the film
after bouncing off of the pressure plate). I believe that Kodak HIE is the
only IR film with this characteristic. Of course, many want to use that
film precisely because of the lack of this backing (which gives "halos"
to the brighter objects). In that case you need to cover the dimples --
standard recommendation is to use 120 format backing paper.

I have some test samples of IR photography with the Maco IR film on my photo
web pages. HIE photos are found everywhere.

=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: