[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2957

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2957
From: will biesele <biesele@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:23:08 -0700
I have put together a mount to prevent movement of heavy lens during
long exposures using the Olympus macro rail, two focusing stages and
telescope 3 point guide rings. The rings have three nylon tipped screws
arranged radially, this allows adjustment for various diameter lenses.
By attaching one to each focusing stage the separation can be adjusted.
Also the camera can be mounted to one of the stages if the lens does not
have two flat, nonmoving surfaces (typically shorter lenses). However
this requires adjusting the height of the camera or ring so the center
on the lens mount is the same height as the center of the rings. The
macro rail has enough movement to balance even longer lenses.

I've been using this setup for astrophotography, but now I will start
using it for macro work also. For astrophotography two 'feet' are used
on the macro rail to prevent rotation.

Possible sources for the rings are:
http://users.kricket.net/ken/

Or the ones I'm using: