RE: [OM] OM shift - modified?

Subject: RE: [OM] OM shift - modified?
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:41:47 +1100
> >>Zuiko 24mm f3.5mm shift lens, fair condition, with
> >>custom 6 x 6 body andshutter for ultra wide MF work,
> >>$650 SURRY HILLS 02-9698 1426

> Giles [mailto:cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> I can think of no way of breaking this to you gently Brian, but there
> are truly evil people afoot in this world who do indeed monkey with
> the very best of our beloved zuikos.
> <snipped>
> There is this 24mm f2.8 shift, which probably has been modified and I
> have heard of several other 24mm shift being adapted to suit evil
> purposes.

For those curious....

I rang the guy regarding the lens. He advises that the (still for
sale) lens has been modified, and is stated as "fair" condition
for the following reasons:

(FWIW, he was quite forthcoming with all of the below info)

- I'm not totally sure what this is called, but you know
  the lever in the lens-mount that stops down the lens? Well
  it has been removed, so you would have to use stop-down
  metering if you used it. He has and still uses it on an
  OM4 (the above is what he stated to me. If this doesn't
  make sense, sorry, but I'm claiming "newbie" as my excuse <g>)
- Due to the nature of the medium format, he has modified
  the "cookie-cutter" hood which would vignette otherwise
  on this format.
- Condition: fair. This is probably the most important point.
  When he bought it at such a low price, there was a
  substantial crack that went all the way through the front
  element. He had a camera-repairperson look at it, and they
  rotated the element to a less flair-prone area of the mount
  (he described the "deepest" part of the lens hood) and also
  did some "glueing" (it wasn't "glue", but that'll do as good
  as any) to prevent dust that was making it's way via that
  crack to the inside of the lens. He suggests this has solved
  any problems.

He *did* offer an example of a picture taken with this lens
(and on his OM4), which is here:

http://www.culture.com.au/virtual/buddha.htm

Cheers
Marc