[OM] Kodachrome

Subject: [OM] Kodachrome
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:35:45 +1300
Hi Zuiks,

It is so interesting to hear of the varied experiences people have had and
still
have.

I have NEVER, in 45 years use of Kodachrome, had a badly developed roll.

They have ALL been developed by Kodak.

The lab in Melbourne, Australia, where I understand the NZ rolls are
processed, have been using excellent plastic mounts for at least 15 years.

I just took if for granted that KDC has to be kept in the dark. That's where I
keep ALL slides and negatives. I just assume that daylight will fade these
organic dyes. But, with dark storage, KDC holds its colour. That's important
for me. My old boss is a heap  of energy and has all his marbles at 93. Why
not me too? If so, I want my slides OK. I have 30 years to go <g>

On the other hand, in the dark, unaided, A**a slides transmogrified to some
weird colours within 10 years. On  their own, in the dark.

Time. I'm used to waiting up to 6 weeks for the slides to get back from
Australia. I don't mind too much since the results are good. Sometimes they
surprise me and the return is inside a week.

I like the colours.  My photo lab owner, whose expertise I respect, when I
asked for a recommendation for an alternative, said, try Ektachrome 100VS.
So away I went with a roll and tried my hardest. When I saw the results I
could have wept. All my hard work and it came back in all these exaggerated
colours. So now I take careful note of what Popular Photography say about
film in their periodic film reviews, if I think of switching makes/models.

I just got a heap of Kodachrome from mpex.com at a very good price - so I
must go out and use a few rolls to keep the Melbourne lab ticking over.

Here endeth the rave.

Brian
No trumpet, no clarinet, no oboe;
Just a plain old  p - i - a - n - o .