Re: [OM] Films, freezers and refrigerators

Subject: Re: [OM] Films, freezers and refrigerators
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:11:30 -0500
On Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 9:29, Jerry Smith <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] Films, freezers and refrigerators" saying:

>    Hello all,
>
> I read in a couple of past digest's, yall were talking about keeping film
> cold and even in the freezer. I have some questions about that.
>
> 1. How is the best way to do this?

Keep it in its original packaging

> 2. How do you "thaw" it out?

Take it out an hour or more ahead of time. If in a hurry, I thaw the first
roll or two in my pocket for 20 minutes.

> 3. Doesn't this get moisture in it?

Not if it's still in foil or plastic. Never unpackage until thawed - unless
you're outside in the winter!

> 4. Is it best to put film in the freezer, or refrigerator?

Freezer is best. Fridge is good.

> I can get out of date film here local for $1.00-$2.00 a roll, most any kind.
> Some of this is just coming out of date, while others are a few months to
> many months out. I was wondering if freezing the film would allow the use of
> this film for even longer? How long is too long out of date?

Risks: colour shift, fogging, loss of sensitivity. For fast films stored
for a long time, there is some fogging due to cosmic radiation, which lead
shields can't protect against.

Negative film is less at risk since these effects can be corrected somewhat
in printing. B+W film can be defogged in development using Kodak anti-fog
#2 (6-Nitrobenzimidazole Nitrate) with some loss in sensitivity.

If you have a "frost-free" freezer, it defrosts the walls every so often,
so keep the film buried in the middle to avoid any possible freeze-thaw
effects (people fear grain increases).

Keep all the film in a single separate box or Ziplock freezer bag protected
from any outgassing from food or packaging nearby.

See

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/e30/e30Contents.sh
tml
which also recommends storing your processed negatives & slide in cold
storage.

My experience with 30-year-old B+W photo paper is that fog and grain are
increased, contrast increases, and there is visual variation between
different parts of  the paper.

IOW, test, test, test, so you know what to expect.

        Slide film is more tender than negative film
        Slow outdated film is safer than fast film
        Never open cold film in a warm environment

Tom

> Smitty

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633
fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa Ont. Canada K1R
7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974    Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which, if anything small falls
into them
they ensnare it, but large things break through and
escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."     --
Benjamin Franklin