[OM] Turning OM-4s off to save the battery

Subject: [OM] Turning OM-4s off to save the battery
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:28:05 -0500
At 12:18 AM +0000 12/15/01, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:08:57 -0800 (PST)
>From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Alternate Batteries for OM-4
>
>I recently bought an OM-4 and 35-105 for the price of
>the zoom alone. But the OM-4 has a battery drain
>problem and will drain a pair of 357s overnight. I was
>thinking of putting in a smaller set of silver oxide
>batteries and a small magnetic reed switch inside the
>battery compartment so I can turn the battery on and
>off. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not
>a smaller SO battery will have sufficient current
>capacity and if so which one might be suitable.

My OM-4 eats batteries a bit more slowly than that, but still it's a nuisance.
I use SR44s, but put the bottom cell in backwards (so the two cells are
node-to-nose, with plus ends outward) when the camera won't be used for a
while.

This is an old Boy Scout trick for flashlights, which always manage to turn
themselves on and run themselves down while bouncing around in a backpack.

I also carry lots of spare batteries.

Joe Gwinn