Re: [OM] [OT] Bagpipes

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Bagpipes
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 20:32:15 -0600
At 10:08 PM 12/14/2001 +0000, you wrote:
Of course if you scratch the surface, all you see is the scratch. Talk about
pearls among swine...

Yup. Funny too how you'd never tell someone his sister is ugly, but his food, his music, or his hometown is fair game.

I used to play oboe. There was a history professor at the U. in my hometown named Rundell that sought me out because he had a set of pipes he couldn't play himself. It being something of a double-reed instrument, he thought I might be able to make a sound out of it. I was very sorry I couldn't. He looked at it as though it was the key to order in the cosmos. I concluded that the pipes are deeper than Dante. Don't mess about with the pipes.

Content: my first experiment with Kodachrome was in Britain. I had a borrowed rangefinder without a meter, so I tried to master sunny 16. By the time I'd traveled to Scotland, I managed to get a couple keepers. I think that experience made a huge difference to me in photography. It made me extremely appreciative of meters, and I also never really trust them.

Joel W.