[OM] Camera batteries for OM

Subject: [OM] Camera batteries for OM
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:44:56 -0500
I can probably help.

> Question:  On the package printing the battery voltage
> is 1.55V.   I am sure this sort of subject was discussed
> before such as 357 has lower internal impedance(?) but
> can someone kind enough to refresh me ?

MR9 (Mercury Oxide) 625 --
190 to 215 mah capacity (varies by type), 3-12 ohms impedance, 1.35 volts

LR44 (Alkaline) A76 -- 150 mah capacity (to 0.9 volt), 1.5 volts initially.

SR44 (Silver oxide) 357 --
190 mah capacity (at 1.3 volts), 3-12 ohms impedance, 1.55 volts at light load
till it dies, about 1.35 volts with 30-ohm load (heavy).

The above is from various battery engineering manuals (especially on the
mercury battery), and the Eveready website at <http://www.energizer.com>, under
the Technical Information button.  The SR44 seems like the best battery for a
camera, which is probably why Olympus specifies it.

Batteries designed for photo use are optimised for constant output voltage. The
SR44 is also specified for occasional pulse loads.

Other battery companies will have their own websites, and one can usually get
technical data there.

> I also went to local Radio Shack and asked the same
> question but the sales person insisted the EPX76 and
> the 357's have the identical 1.50V output ratings.

This is true enough.  The decline in battery voltage as the battery is used
exceeds the difference in initial voltage, especially with alkaline batteries.
Operating temperature also matters.

> They carried OEM by Varta (V357/V76P).

Varta is a good manufacturer.

> I recently acquired a brand new OM-3Ti in Tokyo
> while visiting my father there.  In the box there was a
> set of packaged (sealed of course) silver oxide batteries.
> The batteries were packaged with the SONY brand, but
> the batteries themselves have Eveready EPX76 inscribed.
> Question:  On the package printing the battery voltage
> is 1.55V.   I am sure this sort of subject was discussed
> before such as 357 has lower internal impedance(?) but
> can someone kind enough to refresh me ?  I looked at
> OM FAQ page
> http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html
> but I cannot find the specs for said batteries.
>
> I also went to local Radio Shack and asked the same
> question but the sales person insisted the EPX76 and
> the 357's have the identical 1.50V output ratings.
> They carried OEM by Varta (V357/V76P).

Joe Gwinn