[OM] OT: tax writeoffs was: what is Olympus USA's parts number? Crazy

Subject: [OM] OT: tax writeoffs was: what is Olympus USA's parts number? Crazy Olympus!!!
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:25:04 -0700
>They could have made more money than a tax write-off would avail them
>if they sold them on Ebay or to shops that John H.  They could have
>given them to such shops and take a royalty on the sales even.

 With some things, the problem is that they've already written them off
against tax by the time they get rid of them; they depreciate them over five
years (say) and then they've got to get rid of them because they officially
have no value.

 Or something like that; the company my father works from has a big crushing
crate in the basement where old PCs go, and again there they can't just sell
them on/give them to schools/whatever -- the kit now has officially zero
value, and doing anything that might get value out of them in any way isn't
allowed.

 Seems dumb to me, but that's the way it goes.

 -- dan

 (now, what's _really_ stupid is Blockbuster's destroying all their old rare
stock because they can't be bothered to fix a bug in their accounting
software..)