[OM] Customs duty

Subject: [OM] Customs duty
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:15:21 +1300
Hello John & Zuiks

I'm in New Zealand, and as far as I know, our Goods and Services Tax (GST)
on imports cuts in at a value of NZ$400 - US$167. Customs don't *always*
catch you for it, but sometimes they do. Then you pay the tax before you get
the goods.

With this in mind, I discuss the whole deal with the seller before sending. If
reasonably possible, I'll have the lot broken up into parcels of lesser value
individually, unless the sender is relaxed about insurance value, or thinks
that's all too much bother to go through.. Customs here seem to go on the
insurance value for deciding. They don't seem to know what the Euro is worth
;-)

If you use FedEx, beware that they get a lot of income by declaring the
goods to customs regardless of value, and you pay THEM for their inflated-
value bookwork, as well as duty that you should not really liable for. Other
international couriers do the same too as far as I know. The Postal Service is
great !

Learn from this. Sort out all details prior to shipping. Then everybody should
win (that should win, natch).

Brian
> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:38:05 EST
> From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [OM] Duty from UK question.... in  a pickle
>
> Hi, I have a question and need some educated opinons.  I am in the US.
> I bought a lens from a fellow in the UK.  I paid $1100 + $100 shipping
> (ouch!).
> I get the lens yesterday and the guy has posted it's value on the custom's
> form
> as 2550 UK pounds...or roughly $3670 US!! I am scrambling trying to figure out
> what I may be charged.  The best I see is 20p to 10%+ The lens is really worth
> under $1800 in the shape it is in (non Olympus). Is there a step I should take
> before I get my bill? I wrote the guy and asked if he would consider helping
> me
> redirect what the price was he put on it and all I got in return was a
> "yeah." I
> am not too sure. Am I in a pickle or what? Most folks seem to fib in a
> favorable
> way on the custom's papers.  How about getting screwed in the other direction?
>
> Anyone with good facts would be appreciated.
>
> John

No trumpet, no clarinet, no oboe;
Just a plain old p - i - a - n - o .