Re: [OM] Original Pen pancake on e*ay

Subject: Re: [OM] Original Pen pancake on e*ay
From: Neal Jones <njones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 23:25:39 +0000
At 08:52 PM 12/4/01 -0800, you wrote:
>no. 1306171360 . One of these original Pen-F beauties
>has just appeared on e*ay. Looks to be in really nice
>shape.
>
>Mark Lloyd

Yeah...what a beautifully simple and elegant lens.  I've had a Pen F for
about a year now (wanted one for about 20 yrs!)..but I only could afford a
body.  Then last July, I got the OM - Pen adapter.  The results are
great..but the camera looks out of balance.  This week my first Pen lens
(38mm, 1.8) arrived from the US (took 6 weeks!!!).  Now my Pen F is
restored to its original glory - it's due an outing this weekend.

As a slight aside, Olympus Pen F/FT/FV sales in UK were quite slow; the
adult UK population in the 60's was relatively small and relatively poor.
Therefore second hand examples are quite rare and quite expensive.  The US
market was far more bouyant - higher population and more spending power.
Pens in the US seem far more common and are far cheaper.
On top of that, I have to pay 17.5 0mport tax (on items over about $30)
AND shipping costs (about £20 for a camera body).
The only solution is for me to save for a US holiday.  Travel with lots of
$ and an empty camera bag.  Return with quite the opposite (and a huge smile!)

Neal

system administrator at:
CAEREINION HIGH SCHOOL
admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx