[OM] Some interesting images to share

Subject: [OM] Some interesting images to share
From: Chris Barrett <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:35:00 -0000
Dear Folks,

A nice comparison.

To be more rigorous you could have put the camera on the tripod seen in the
picture, then the two images would have overlaid, with the difference being in
the lens construction and coating.

I did a similar test using my SC 24 2.8 and newly acquired MC 28 2.8. I
intended to post the results on my web page, but I've had as yet unresolved
computer problems.

The upshot of my test was that the MC definitely has a benefit under these
circumstances. The images look very similar to your own with the MC lens
outperforming the SC dramatically.

The effect is in both general contrast and flare, and in the appearance of the
aperture circles. The 28mm hardly shows any even when straight into the sun.
Also as it has fewer elements than the 24, there are fewer circles. This will
also affect the general level of flare. The 28 2.8 has 6 elements in 6 groups,
the 24 2.8 has 8 elements in 7 groups and the 24 2 has 10 in 8 groups (it needs
that multicoating).

I've always been extremely fond of my 24mm, and I don't like the 28 as much. My
tests convinced me that I should swap both at some stage for a MC 24 2.8.

Chris Barrett
Malvern