[OM] Build it Ourselves Digital Back

Subject: [OM] Build it Ourselves Digital Back
From: Chris Barrett <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:23:24 -0000
Jim Brokaw wrote:

"I have no idea what the actual 'focus depth' of a digital image sensor is
relative to the physical front of it, but this is key to getting a digital
back that will work with OM bodies. You basically need a digital image
sensor 24mm x 36mm by probably less than 1mm deep front to back, maybe even
thinner."

Dear Jim,

I've thought of building a digital unit to go onto my auto bellows for slide
copying, and looked up some suitable chips.

Kodak have several chips on their website. KAF-6302CE is a 6M chip with an
active area of 27.5x18.1 (i.e. half frame), and KAF-16801CE is 16M with image
area of 36.7x36.7 (i.e. plenty to spare).

Don't know the prices. Probably horrendous!

Technical data is on their site allowing an electronic designer to build the
surrounding electronics.

Physically the chip is inside a DIL package with a glass cover. The cover to
sensor height is about 2mm. They don't say anything about built in filter
thickness. I would make an adjustable prototype anyway and set the final
position after focusing tests.

One problem may be that the package needs to be positioned for focus such that
the front of the package interferes with the shutter mechanism.

Chris Barrett
Malvern