Re: [OM] Olympus Calendar 2001

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Calendar 2001
From: Dodsonm@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:02:41 EST
>From:  h.wiechel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Harry Wiechel)
>Sender:    owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>In recent years Olympus was issuing Calendars in conjunction with the WWF
>and they were hard to come by (only for Vendors etc. I was told); bis this
>year I got one. With fantastic shots of the artic wildlife by Michio
>Hoshino. Regretably no comments are given as to what equipment was used.
>Maybe someone knows more about this!?
>greetings
>Harry Wiechel
>Hamburg, Germany

Unfortunately for all who love nature, he is deceased.  From the National
Wildlife Federation at
http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/hoshino.html

In Memoriam

In early August, while camping in Siberia, Japanese photographer Michio
Hoshino was pulled from his tent by a brown bear and mauled to death. At
the time, the 43-year-old Hoshino was out doing what he liked best:
pursuing wildlife with his camera.

Hoshino was particularly fascinated with Alaska--a fascination that began
25 years ago with a photo he saw in a book. "It was a picture of a small
Alaskan Eskimo village, taken from an airplane," he said earlier this
year. "I grew up in Tokyo, so I couldn't figure out how people could live
in such isolation."

The image gripped Hoshino's imagination so strongly that he became
determined to visit the place. "So I wrote a letter addressed simply:
Mayor, Shishmaref, Alaska,'" he recalled. Six months later, the mail
brought a friendly response, and at the age of 19, Hoshino spent a summer
living with an Eskimo family in the remote northern Alaska village. The
experience changed his life.

After Hoshino earned a degree in economics in Japan, he decided to return
to Alaska. He came up with what seemed to be a practical solution to
making a living on the last U.S. frontier: photography. There was only
one problem: He didn't know much about his chosen profession. "I taught
myself, little by little," he said. Those lessons clearly paid off.

In recent years, Hoshino's photographs have been the focus of 10
published books and numerous magazine articles. His dramatic images of
moose illustrate this issue's article "Alaska Diary," in which Hoshino's
text recounts some of his experiences following the big mammals. With his
tragic death, we lose one of the world's foremost nature photographers.

This summer, we also lost one of the giants of wildlife conservation:
artist and ornithologist Roger Tory Peterson, who passed away at his home
in Connecticut. On page 62, you'll find a tribute to him.