Re: [OM] Beware of foreign entanglements?

Subject: Re: [OM] Beware of foreign entanglements?
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 02:41:03 -0500
On Friday, November 23, 2001 at 9:41, andrew fildes
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Beware of foreign entanglements?" saying:

> This is a constant problem and irritation for many of us 'furrriners.' If I
> see an auction where the seller clearly states 'no overseas bidders
please'
> I curse quietly to myself about bloody insular yanks and don't bid.
But 'US
> only' is a default option on the listing and many sellers simply don't
> bother to change it - they're happy to sell to me, especially for small
> items when I tell them they'll get US funds up front.

I always ask them if they'll sell to me & give them info on any hassles.
Here's my standard opening (to a US seller to a Cdn buyer) that some
of you have seen:
    "Hi!  I'd like to ask some questions so I can decide how high to bid.

    SHIPPING
    Would you ship to Canada via Post Office or FedEx Ground at
    cost? UPS etc. Incur excessive brokerage charges.

    My preference is FedEx Ground since they don't charge brokerage.
    Cost is calculated at  http://rate.dmz.fedex.com/us/  and click on
    Rates at the top. Ship-to Postal code: K1R7S7 , country: Canada;
    Choose FedEx Ground

    Post Office rates- see http://ircalc.usps.gov/weight.asp?contents=1
    and enter Canada & weight. The Global Priority Flat Rate
    envelopes (Tyvek 6x9 or 9x12) are available free from your local
    post office, 1-800-the-USPS, or  http://supplies.usps.gov )

    POST OFFICE CUSTOMS HASSLE SUMMARY:
    Under US $400 - small green customs slip 2976, enter short
    description, weight, value.
    US $400 to $800 - white 5x7" form 2976-a. One copy is placed
    inside the package and the top portion of form 2976 is stuck on the
    outside.
    Shipments over c$1200 need invoices, customs details. (= ~US
    $800)"

> Sellers who refuse to sell OS often get fewer, lower bids and that's
some
> consolation.

OTOH, furriners miss the lower prices :-(

> I'll bid first and ask questions later, having missed a couple of good
> BIN's while waiting. It is very easy for a non-US bidder to pay - many
> countries like mine have post offices where you can buy a Western
Union
> money order in US dollars and WU wire transfer is expensive but
> effective. That avoids bank fees altogether. In fact, it's a damn sight
> more difficult to get money out of the States than into it (but that's
> another conspiracy theory altogether). Postage is also a problem.
> Generally speaking, for private sales, pack just as you would for
> domestic and all you have to worry about is the extra cost and filling
> out a green slip. For more expensive, insured items, a slightly larger
> form is required.

And the USPS will mail you as many forms as you want to stock at
home.

> I pack and weigh an item before starting the auction - that way I can
> quote a shipping price immediately from my trusty little AusPost rate
> book.

Postal services have web calculators, too, the USPS at
http://ircalc.usps.gov/

> I've run auctions with a 'no more than $20 to any destination, less
> to most' tag and that works well. Some commercial sellers gouge
you a bit
> on shipping by insisting on FedEx or similar tracked systems
because it's
> really easy for them and the buyer bears all the considerable costs.

Some couriers' slower services are price-competitive with the Post
Office. You have to check each time.

But buyers have to beware excessive brokerage charges. To Canada,
FedEx charges none, the Post Office a fixed $5 cdn. But UPS charges
a minimum of $20, and it goes up with the value of the parcel.

Tom

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@         Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-
6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa Ontario Canada K1R
7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974    Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which, if anything small falls
into them
they ensnare it, but large things break through and
escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."     --
Benjamin Franklin