Re: [OM] om microscope cameras/ om system future

Subject: Re: [OM] om microscope cameras/ om system future
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:22:43 +0100
This item could be of interest

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1299136266

but note that it refers to 'As New Olympus OM System Photomicro Mount H',
actually used for bellows etc.

Roger Key

Mark and others:

>  Someone on this list [apologies; I forget who it was] suggested that the
>  continued availability of the OM-3T and OM-4T was due to the influence
>  of the microscope division of Olympus Optical. They're more familiar
>  with labor-intensive small-batch production, and the cameras are used
>  with their microcopes. This puts the motivation back in the
>  lust-for-money camp, which I find easier to understand that Oly's
>  "loyalty" to OM users, a sentiment which I don't believe they share with
>  us.

In the past the C-35 microscope cameras have always been based on one of
the existing 35mm film based cameras.  However, as of a few years ago
Olympus designed a special 35mm film microscope body that is built to
the quality standards of a disposable camera (ie. nearly 1000lastic).
They have now discontinued all C-35 microscope cameras that were based on
the OM platform.  The scientific division is definitly not going to keep
the OM bodies alive.
                    -mark

This may be true but I've seen plenty of OM's mounted on microscopes
in the labs I've worked in , including 3Ti bodies so I guess up till
a few years ago at least they were an option on some microscopes.

Pete

Dr. Peter Dixon
Neurogenetics Unit, Department of Molecular Pathogenesis
6th Floor, Institute of Neurology
Queen Square
London WC1N 3BG
Tel: 0207 837 3611 xtn 4305