RE: [OM] leonid (pictures)

Subject: RE: [OM] leonid (pictures)
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:43:04 -0700
 End results:

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/stars/leonid1.jpg is about as
good as they got; I was aiming for a shot of the telegraph pole against the
sky, but was lucky and got a meteor anyway.. Definite yellow-green colour
there.

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/stars/leonid2.jpg has at least
three streaks, possibly more depending on how generous you are.

 Oh, and it was definitely sky glow, not vignetting -- the light region on
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/stars/sky1.jpg is not
lens-shaped.. Interesting how thin the clouds can be and still be 'visible'.

 Generic star trails shot:
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/stars/sky2.jpg

>I don't know if there are any standard deep-sky (i.e., really REALLY dark)
>sites for the Calgary centre, but the Edmonton club has several within
>about an hour's drive of the city.

 I don't think there's anything anywhere near Calgary; looking at this part
of the world on http://www.inquinamentoluminoso.it/worldatlas/pages/fig2.htm
there's definitely a lot of glow for a fair way around here; once you get
further north, it clears up a lot.

 -- dan