[OM] More Leonid images

Subject: [OM] More Leonid images
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:11:23 -0600
I spent the evening working on scans from another camera and I've posted two
cuts at one image made with a 35 mm Zuiko that captured 10 tracks:

http://members.home.net/garyetx/leonid2.htm

Of my 4 cameras; 3 OM-1s with 16, 35, and 50 mm Zuikos, and a Minolta
Hi-Matic 7S-II (40 mm f/1.7), only the 35 and the 50 caught usable images.
All of the cameras suffered badly from an unknown source of central fogging.
There were no lights in the area, and the sky was quite dark when
unobscured.  But, the sky periodically clouded over and I didn't always get
the shutters closed right away.  I did not notice dew until I took down the
tripods and noticed that all were damp.  Unfortunately, I didn't check the
front elements for dew either as the session progressed or afterward.
However, I think that if dew were condensing on the glass, that the fogging
would be general, and the stars trails would be indistinct.  There was a
very bright star (?) overhead - maybe Saturn?  That could have caused some
fogging I suppose.  Also, my LS-30 and Vuescan are having a very difficult
time with these negatives.

I managed to clean up this image some with an inverted contrast mask layer
in Photoshop, but the star trail contrast suffered.

All in all, viewing the show was an experience of a lifetime, and I'm
pleased to have gotten something on film.  I already had a lot of respect
for the good astrophotographers - now I have a lot more.

Regards,
Gary