Re: [OM] Speaking of Holiday Trips.... S'More

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Holiday Trips.... S'More
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 02:52:52 EST
Oh, forgot.  The Washington Coast: <A
HREF="http://www.cranberrycoastcoc.com/ghlighthouse.html";>The Magnificent
Grays Harbor Lighthouse...Westport, Washington</A>   Long Beach.  My two
favorites out there are Cape Flattery light and North Head light, Ilwaco.
Rugged setting.   <A HREF="http://www.aracnet.com/~jkandik/washing.shtml";>
Washington Lighthouses</A> .  We're a lighthouse family.  Brother-in-law was
keeper of the Patos Island (northernmost San Juan island, just 3 mi., from
Canadian waters/islands), Pt. Wilson (Pt. Townsend -- they still live there),
and Smith Island (off Whidbey Is.) lights while in the Coast Guard.  I spend
a few summers with them on Patos Island as a 12, 13 year old.  Great
adventure for a kid.  Our favorite lights are those with the Fresnel (french)
lenses.  Beautiful.  The Robinson Pt. light on Vashon Island (Maury Island,
really, which is just a finger of Vashon) is one of those, DIRECTLY across
the Sound from me here in Des Moines.  I need to get over there on a clear
day (maybe in winter?) and get a shot back across this way and towards Mt.
Rainier.   <A HREF="http://www.phred.org/~josh/vashon/ptrob1.jpg";>
http://www.phred.org/~josh/vashon/ptrob1.jpg</A> (this is a neat site:  <A
HREF="http://www.phred.org/~josh/vashon/vash.html";>Views of Vashon & Maury
Islands</A>)

The best chances for seals, etc. on the WA coast are probably north of where
you'll be hitting the coast, up near Cape Flattery.  But you'll see 'em along
the Oregon coast, and the Ca. coast.  They wander in and out of Puget Sound,
Gray's Harbor, etc., though, so you might see 'em anywhere there is salt
water, especially with rocks, offshore floating docks, aids to navigation,
etc. -- anything big enough for them to get up on and lounge.

And wildlife/birding:  I mentioned ducks, geese, in Padilla Bay, Bayview,
west of Burlington, WA.  The entire Skagit Valley is full of red-tailed
hawks, bald eagles (esp. up the Skagit River this time of year, feasting on
salmon) and the Fir Island area (down below Mt. Vernon, near Conway, just off
I-5) is a birder's paradise, with over 200 species coming and going.  Should
be snow geese and trumpeter swans in there this time of year.  Start
rubber-necking for birds as soon as you enter the valley.  You'll see birds,
even zooming down I-5.

When you get out to the coast, Grays Harbor, Westport, and Long Beach have
lots of shorebirds.  Willapa Bay.... sheltered.

My sister says the Sea Lion Caves is worth the trip/stop, even though it's a
tourist trap.  O.K., I'll stop next time...

Rich (you sure you don't need a photographic assistant along?  Cori will be
busy with her Pentax...)