[OM] 28mm Lens Fix (Aperture)

Subject: [OM] 28mm Lens Fix (Aperture)
From: Wim Verheyen <wimwim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 14:47:01 +0100
I have had a Vivitar 28mm f2 with sticky blades as well.
The problem was that they had oil over them.
Here's how I repaired it, if my memory serves me right.
Remove the mounting ring, it's just three little screws.
I think you have to be careful in removing the mounting ring, so that you don't
loose a little spring and a ball, that serves as a click stop.
Then you can remove the rear lens element, and get to the aperture blades.
I took cotton swabs and lens cleaner fluid and gently wiped the aperture
blades, also moving back and forth the blades with the DOF button.
I also carefully pushed some tissue in front of the aperture blades, so between
the blades and the next lens element, and then moved the DOF button again.
You have to do this very gently and carefully, because the blades are very
fragile.
After this cleaning operation, the aperture blades moved freely again.

Tip : if you have a digital camera (or a camcorder), take pictures of the
disassembly phases, this will help you a lot in assembling the lens again.

Hope this helps.