[OM] Leonids! Leonids! LEONIDS!

Subject: [OM] Leonids! Leonids! LEONIDS!
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:46:43 -0700
Cc: chris@xxxxxxxxx
This was forwarded to me from my professional photog buddy.  Pay attention, all
you Albertans!

***** Forwarded message begins *****

>From: "Kulak,Dan [Edm]" <Dan.Kulak@xxxxxxxx>
>To: "'astro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <astro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: ASTRO- Leonid weather
>Date: Fri, Nov 16, 2001, 12:14 PM

[snip]

> Allan Rahill of CMC developed the "Weather Forecast for Astronomy" (
> <http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/htmls/mainpage.html>
> www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/htmls/mainpage.html) web page on the CMC server on his
> own time.  As Roger -- and the author of the "cleardarksky" website --
> propose,
> the best way to ensure the continuation of CMC providing this output is to
> let Allan know it is valuable and being used so he can show that to his
> boss, etc.  Allan has his email address posted as a hot link on this site,
> but here it is too.... mailto:  <mailto:allan.rahill@xxxxxxxx>
> allan.rahill@xxxxxxxx.
>
> Anyway, the charts which are based on the same data as the forecast
> satellite pictures are showing an upper ridge over the AB Rockies and a
> large (cool) surface high over the prairies, with the surface ridge and
> light winds at all levels over southern and west-central AB.  The mid and
> high levels will be clear.  The models and the forecast satellite pictures
> do not pick up low level moisture very well, but I doubt given this pattern
> there will be much around anywhere in AB.  There might be some shallow ground
> fog, but the ground is pretty dry as will be the airmass so I suspect that
> vertical visibility should be decent.  If you're out all night with your SCT
> you may have to contend with a bit of frost on the corrector.  With the
> relatively light winds aloft, seeing may be quite good too for some medium
> to high mag views of Jupiter and Saturn Sunday morning.
>
> Our public website for forecasts, charts, etc. is www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca
> <http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca>.  The forecast clouds page is based on
> the GEM model output (Global Environmental Multiscale), but under the link
> to "weather maps" it is under the "regional model" (an old name).  Our
> public website for severe weather info (summer and winter awareness and
> preparedness stuff) is our regional Green Lane...
> www.pnr-rpm.ec.gc.ca <http://www.pnr-rpm.ec.gc.ca>  (the hyphen is
> necessary).
>
> On Saturday night/Sunday morning don't forget the woolies and other winter
> gear...(and the dew heaters and caps for the scopes, just in case).  And
> don't breathe on those 31 mm Naglers or fisheye camera lenses...

***** Forwarded message ends *****

With any luck, I'll be wrapped up in a sleeping bag on a lawnchair at the
Strathcona Wilderness Staging Area east of Edmonton, watching a few thousand
meteors an hour meet their doom.  Guess I'd better bring hot chocolate and the
OM-1n, too.  8^>

Garth