[OM] close up photography

Subject: [OM] close up photography
From: "Marten T Beels" <martentb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:42:05 -0500
First, I suppose a brief introduction is in order. I've been lurking off and on for a while now and have been quite impressed with the quality of people on this list. Really quite unique. Although I've been taking pictures for a while now, I'm really starting to get into it seriously. I'm on my way to a regular zuikaholic!

Anyway, recently, I've become very interested in close up photography, including the technical aspects of it. I'm not able to afford a nice macro lens, but I know that there are many other ways to get a close up image, many of them are a lot cheaper. I haven't found many technical details yet about the disadvantages and advantages of each one, so I decided to do some experimenting. I realize that there are formulas for most of this stuff, but I wanted to try some of it out. I made a table of various combinations of these methods. http://www.goshen.edu/~martentb/photography/closeup.html and then I also sorted them according to magnification http://www.goshen.edu/~martentb/photography/closeupsorted.html

I didn't include image quality or actual working distance, which would be nice to know. Basically, I'd like to compile a handy reference for all of these close up techniques. I can probably find technical details in text books, but it would be nice to get some feed back from some of you more experienced photographers. Especially those of you who use some of these alternative methods to a macro lens. What combinations seem to give you guys the best image quality?

Marten Beels
http://www.goshen.edu/~martentb