[OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 first observations

Subject: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 first observations
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:28:40 -0800
In a message dated 11/11/2001 Tom Scales writes:

<< Overall, I like the lens a lot. I just think I have concluded this is
the
wrong use of the lens.  I think it will be great for my older daughter's
basketball games. They're in a full-size gym this year and I'll be in
the
stands.  I also think it will be great when I need 160-400.

Don't be overwhelmed by the comments about the weight. Doesn't matter
that
much.  Very fine lens.

P.S.  Will the Zuiko 1.4X fit? >>

The Zuiko 1.4XA won't work as-is due to the protruding front element. I
gather you can use an extension ring at the expense of infinity focus,
but that may be okay on a soccer field.

I sold my Tamron SP 2X extender and on those rare occasions I want a
160-400 f5.6 (like almost never) I use the Zuiko 2XA. I normally use the
80-200/2.8 as-is but do have, use, and recommend, the Tamron SP 140F
(1.4X) converter with it. That will get you the reach you desire at a
stop faster (f4) than the Zuiko 50-250, but with a sacrifice in range of
course.

I'll be curious to hear how you like the results from it too. Nice to
hear the wonderful new E-20 isn't keeping you from shooting film Tom
<g>.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com