Re: [OM] and now for a real question... trip to antartica...

Subject: Re: [OM] and now for a real question... trip to antartica...
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:47:34 -0700
Not sure if it's the same with Antartica, as I've never been there, but in
the high arctic (lived there for 8 years) one can run into problems with
static electricity.  Because the air is so dry (and cold?) it's possible to
create static discharges several inches long.  Not sure what this will do
to a camera (especially the electronic ones like the OM-4 and OM-2S),
but it's something to be cautious about.

Just thought I'd mention it...

Regards,

Chris

On 12 Nov 2001, at 16:35, Bernd Moeller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I've heard of problems of condensation when going from warm to cold and
> > back. Expansion and contraction may also be a problem at those extreme
> > temperature swings.
>
> When going to Antarctica and other cold places, it could be a good idea to
> store the equipment outside climatized areas. Then condensation would not
> be a problem. The only issue could be that the batteries are in a permanent
> low state of charge. This could be solved by external battery packs.
>
> I found this very useful in Norway last winter. My OM-2 stayed outside the
> hut together with the skiing equipment. Remember though to handle the
> camera with gloves then. Dying batteries were not a problem there, however.
>
> Bernd

---
I'm *not* a Zuikoholic....  I'm a Zuikohobbyist!
Chris O'Neill (chris@xxxxxxxxx)
http://www.joinco.ca