Re: [OM] radioactive camera lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] radioactive camera lenses
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:56:33 +1100
>I have a camera with a Voigtländer Apo Lanthar lens from the 1950s.
>Such lenses have lanthanum in them.
>
>A while back I took a 120 film from this camera to be D&P, and it came back
>with a note from the laboratory saying that it was unwise to leave cameras in
>the sun or in hot places for a length of time. Now, I had left this film
>in the
>camera for several MONTHS, but never in the sun etc. Most of the film was
>severely fogged, only 3 - 4 exposures came out.
>
>Today the penny dropped.
>
>It was the radioactivity in the lens glass that had fogged the film. During
>storage, even though the film was a few inches from the lens, it was enough.
>
>Brian

I'd be surprised - the level is super-low and the focal plane shutter in an
SLR would be enough to protect the film. You've probably got rear elements
exposed to the film full time in your case but the effect should be
localised. For instance, one frame exposed and banding in the other frames.
I'd suspect the bellows first - as in very small pinholes.
AndrewF