RE: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: Computers
From: "John and Helen Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:19:58 +1100
Couldn't agree more, Bob. Since retiring in '99 I've been spending a day per
week repairing older donated Macs for a local charity here in Sydney.
Although having been in the PC world for twenty years I would say that for
sheer engineering design and construction the Macs leave PC's for dead. And
as far as their OS is concerned I like the simplicity and the concept that
has their operation almost exactly the same as the first version.

I think that Steve Jobs shot himself in the foot when he abandoned the old
Apple II open architecture that allowed every hardware manufacturer to
produce some sort of card that plugged into motherboard slots. Wonderful as
the original Mac was one was stuck with Apple add-ons at Apple prices
whereas the PC and its clones followed the II's concept and the rest is
history.

 Regards,
John Wheeler.