Re: [OM] crummy newsweek cover

Subject: Re: [OM] crummy newsweek cover
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:16:30 -0600 (CST)

> I just saw that during lunch.  UGH.  I have to admit I didn't pay much
> attention to the photography when I got that issue at home.  It looks like
> it's a small section from the photo cropped and then zoomed up....or the guy
> had his camera set of really crummy quality and then did cropping like mad.
>
> ObOly: Either way, it doesn't look as if it came out of a Digital Olympus,
> much less a didgi oly slr/zlr rig.  I have a nice photo of Yosemite Valley
> taken with my c2500l one afternoon last winter that I could share with a
> digital apostate or two...
>
>       andy beals
>       san jose, california, usa
>       aol im: ShellacFanatic

I read the photographer's account of the taking. He was using a "pro-level"
digital body. The problem seems to definitely be overcompression, compounded
by blowing up and oversharpening (the latter two can be redone). Anyway,
he blew a historic photo opportunity. jpeg is a very bad compression
scheme as far as annoying artifacts are concerned. With film, you
compress by using a smaller format, and the loss of quality shows up
as grain, which is relatively unobtrusive because it is uncorrelated
with the image. jpeg artifacts are correlated with the picture elements
(like halos), and have high frequency content at block boundaries.
These things are much more obtrusive than noise. The picture of the
burning Concorde shot through a plane window by an amateur with a
disposable was, in my opinion, a better quality image.

Paul