[OM] Fwd: Sending/taking unprocessed film by mail or plane

Subject: [OM] Fwd: Sending/taking unprocessed film by mail or plane
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:41:07 +0000

Date sent:              Wed, 07 Nov 2001 08:52:54 -0500
To:                     kodachrome@xxxxxxxx
From:                   Ron Schwarz <hacksaw-1tooth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:                [Kodachrome] From another list
Send reply to:          kodachrome@xxxxxxxx
        <mailto:kodachrome-request@xxxxxxxx?subject=help>
        <mailto:kodachrome-request@xxxxxxxx?subject=sub*scribe>
        <mailto:kodachrome-
request@xxxxxxxx?subject=uns*ubscribe>

[ Double-click this line for list sub*scription options ]

Fuji does not paint a pretty picture.

===============
With all that has been said about film safety and the US Mail as well as
carrying film while traveling, I thought everyone should see this statement
from Fuji Photofilm USA.

Bob Shell

 New Postal Service and Increased Airport Scanning Procedures Fog
 Photographic Film

 In an effort to make the skies and United States mail safer after the
 tragic events of September 11th, new and increased scanning procedures
 have been put in place by both the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and the
 airline industry. Unfortunately, these recent changes put photographic
 film at risk of fogging and exposure.

 In airports around the country, the use of baggage scanners to detect
 explosive devices has been increased. Because of its silver content and
 metal canisters, photographic film, especially large packages or bundles
 of film, appears particularly suspect. Unfortunately, the scanners are
 fogging undeveloped film left in checked baggage. Unlike the airport
 x-ray equipment of the past, which had little or no effect on unprocessed
 film, the International Imaging Industry Association, Inc. (I3A) has
 tested these scanners at the request of the FAA and determined they have
 the potential to fog both unprocessed color and black and white film.
 Processed film is unaffected.

 As of October 27th, the USPS has begun purchasing electron beam scanning
 equipment for use in sterilizing mail and eliminating any possible
 exposure to anthrax. This electron beam technology will fully expose
 undeveloped film as if it were exposed to sunlight. At this time, we do
 not have complete information regarding the extent to which these
 scanners will be used or when the USPS will begin using them. As we
 receive additional information, we will update this document to remain
 current with these events.

 While we applaud the FAA, airline industry and USPS in their efforts to
 ensure that checked baggage and mail are safe, we also realize that your
 pictures are very important to you and want to do all we can to see that
 your photographic memories are preserved. We offer the following
 suggestions to help you avoid damage to your film from airline scanners.
 We do not currently have information regarding any safeguards that may be
 taken to protect film sent via the USPS.

 * Make sure there is no unprocessed film in your checked baggage.

 * Carry your undeveloped film with you as carry-on baggage and ask for
 hand inspection whenever possible. Place film in a separate mesh or clear
 plastic bag for easy identification by airport security.

 * When carrying large amounts of unprocessed film, contact the airline
 prior to your flight to arrange for a special baggage inspection. When
 possible, send your film via a cargo carrier that will certify that the
 film will not be x-rayed. The FAA and I3A are currently working on
 guidelines with respect to this situation.

 * At some airports, passengers may be randomly selected from the
 carry-on baggage check line and their carry-on luggage scanned as checked
 baggage. Please be aware that this scan will fog film. If you are asked
 to step into another line, remove your film from your carry-on baggage.

 * In time, security measures at airports may increase, and stronger
 scanners may be used to scan even carry-on baggage. Be aware of the signs
 in the airport; most carry-on baggage scanners, at this time, will be
 marked as "Film Safe" if they will not damage your film.

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -------------------
   ,__@         Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<,      758 Albert St., Ottawa Ontario Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974  Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412 W75.714