RE: [OM] Warming filters

Subject: RE: [OM] Warming filters
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:42:24 +0100
Hi,

>who owns around $60 grand worth of assorted plastics (sarcasm!), he wants
me too shoot a
>scene of these combined filters. Has anyone tried this at all?

Actually, I kinda have tried just such a thing. What I once tried was to see
the effect of a circular polariser in combination with a didymium (= red
enhancing) filter and several warming filters (81A, 81B, 81C, 85). I tried
various different combinations, as well as trying the shots with just one
filter. Unfortunately though, I shot the pictures on print film and had it
processed at a big central. This must have been a big mistake, for it seems
these centrals work all shots to a certain colour balance, as hardly any
difference could be seen between each picture :(((

>What sort of scene would be good to shoot in that would be a good learning
experience.
>Slow film or fast, slide or typical print?

I would try the following:
-Use SLIDE film (!) fast or slow shouldn't matter that much (I think), but
saturation might. If you take something very saturated such as Velvia or
E100VS the effect of the filter may or may not be more difficult to see than
on a more neutral film (such as Kodachrome or E100S), dunno.
-Try shooting in 4 lighting situations:
 1) golden hours
 2) midday (sunny day)
 3) midday (overcast day)
 4) using a flash
-Try different combinations of filters, as well as taking each shot with
just one filter, as well as taking each shot without filters.

Take detailed notes, and then draw your conclusions, and by all means share
the results with us, as I, for one, would be very interested in seeing them.

Good luck!
Olafo