[OM] Re: tulip hoods is there one for IS-3

Subject: [OM] Re: tulip hoods is there one for IS-3
From: zuikosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 22:22:31 -0500
Well,  I was using a round 55mm rubber hood on an IS-3 DLX to give some
protection to the lens just in case I lost my footing on the boulders.  This
made a lot of vignetting when I forgot to fold the rubber hood back.  So I am
wondering if their is a tulip shaped hood for the IS-3 ?

zuikosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I personally think the tulip shaped hood is a> feature
> of 'very expensive' lenses in order to distinguish
> themselves from the packs of mundane peasant lenses.
> Just like the aluminum case and leather lens cap for
> the white Zuikos. Its all a trick of clever
> marketing.
>
> Mark Lloyd
Not exactly. If you project a rectangular image up the
axis of a cylinder, you will end up with a tulip
shaped object. If your film were circular, then a
circular hood would work fine. Someone mentioned a
rectangular hood. The same thing applies. If you
project a rectangular image up the axis of a
rectangular box, you will get a rectangular box shaped
hood.

Warren

=====
Warren Xato