Re:(ot) coffee was [OM] OM-4/4T modifications?

Subject: Re:(ot) coffee was [OM] OM-4/4T modifications?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 23:38:19 +0000
At 16:45 11/1/01, Ken Norton wrote:
I personally find that a pot of expresso goes very well with
processing B&W negatives.  The jitters that you get from the
expresso are perfect for shaking the bubbles from the film.

This was the secret to hand holding the camera steady enough for the TOPE 6 tulip super-duper-wide (18mm) macro with a 7mm extension tube at 1/30th second, at less than an inch from the stamen. Nothing works like at least a quart of super-strong java to steady the hands and sharpen the senses:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om82.html

I don't particularily care for regular coffee (prefer tea), but
I love expresso.  I was given an expresso maker a couple years
ago and have been "perfecting" my brewing technique ever since.
Came across a blend from an Aussie company that I've tried to
mimmick.  It's called "Puts Hair On Your Teeth And Calls You
Betsie!"  Really!

Good (read: strong) expresso will do this. You should try your preferred blend in a coffee press. Use at least twice as much coffee and let it steep at least twice as long as the press instructions call for. Anything less comes out too wimpy. Tea may be intended to see through; coffee should be completely opaque. If you can see through coffee even the slightest bit, it's not strong enough. India ink is one of the best, readily available comparative standards for judging coffee color and opacity.

Alternative:
Get a crusty old First Sergeant with at least 25 years service to make a 5-gallon urn of coffee the night before and let it cook until the next morning. The secret is having an urn that hasn't been cleaned since the First Sergeant graduated from basic training.

Like a good cup of tea, expresso and coffee needs no
adulteration.

Absolutely!  Coffee should not be contaminated one iota with anything.

I really should photograph the process with the OMs.

Not the coffee press, but used in dire emergencies to get all the synapses firing (read: first thing every morning). There's no sign of life beforehand:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/indexphoto.html
OK, I cheated by using the M645, but at least the 80mm Sekor C has an Ag Schnozz. Had to make a second batch just for the photograph. I inadvertently consumed the first batch completely while setting up for it.

-- John