RE: [OM] First Olympus OM? (kinda long)

Subject: RE: [OM] First Olympus OM? (kinda long)
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:19:21 -0700
 My first OM was an OM-10. Why? I juggle, and go to juggling conventions
once a year; they're mainly held in large gymnasiums -- good for high
ceilings, bad for lighting. I would normally take a generic point-and-shoot
along, but the problem with those is that they don't really do too well in
dark conditions, and it's really bad karma to use flash when people are
trying to juggle.

 Normally I'd get a bunch of dark, but manageable, shots; one year, though,
I got six rolls back from the developer, all of which were completely blank
except for two which had skylights showing in the background. (this would
have been, what, 1996 or so, I reckon).

 Enough of this, I thought; went to a local camera shop, and asked what
they'd recommend. The guy explained that the problem with point-and-shoots
is that they don't have fast lenses, so I'm pretty much doomed to getting
dark photos, no matter how fast the film is. He pointed me in the direction
of a local second-hand shop, and suggested I look for an old manual SLR
which I could open all the way up and thus get more light in.

 So I headed off, looked in the window, and wound up with an OM-10 and
50/1.8. I played around taking shots, liked it, started accumulating lenses;
next year, went to the juggling convention again, and wound up with a lot of
shots that were bright enough, but all tinged with yellow. So then I learned
about filters..

 Everything went fine until a year and a half ago when I took the camera off
to the UK again, and came back with a lot of completely over-exposed shots,
because the magnet was getting sticky; tried to get it cleaned up, it worked
for another few months then started sticking; I found the OM-list, asked
what I should replace the OM-10 with, and discovered that I really _need_
much more kit than I thought I did..

 -- dan