Re: [OM] First Olympus OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] First Olympus OM?
From: Wim Verheyen <wimwim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:08:30 +0100
My Olympus era started when I bought an OM-1n with a 50/1.8 in 1980.
A year later I got a used Metz flash unit.
Two years later I bought a new 135/2.8, which is still my favourite OM lens.
At some time the Metz broke down and I got a new T32.
Somewhere around 1986 I bought an OM-40 and sold the OM-1n. This may come as a
surprise to zuikoholics, but I am still very happy with the OM-40 and I never
regretted having sold the OM-1n.

Things got worse this year, after my discovery of this discussion group.
I got a silvernose 35/2.8 in january.
Then a 35-70/3.5-4.5 in february, which I sold again soon thereafter, IMHO not
a good lens at all, a light traveller, ok, but not very sharp.
I acquired an old OM set with an OM-1n and a few Vivitar lenses. The meter in
the OM-1n was broken, and the foam had rotten away, so there went my second
OM-1n, sold it for parts. The Vivitars were dogs, so they are sold as well.
Next came a 28/2.8 and a 85/2, I especially like the 85, and I use the 28 more
than the 35.

I had problems with the 50/1.8, a stuck aperture after a day on the beach.
And the T32, after it unwillingly hit the ground.
Other than that, my OM equipment never failed me. Well, I got tricked once by
believing that the shutter times of my OM-40 were incorrect, I just should have
put a film in there, OTF metering you know.

Almost forgot that my girlfriend and I also got a Camedia C-3000 this year.

I'm waiting for an OM-4 with T circuits to arrive in the mail. And I'm also
waiting for a second OM-40 with a Winder 2 and some extension tubes.

My wishlist :
24/2.8, 200/4, 2 x converter, varimagni finder, a few good zoom lenses,
I'm thinking about 35-70/3.6 and 65-200/4, but any advice is welcome.

Should have never joined this group ;-)