Re: [OM] (ot) Eastman Kodak and wild spaces

Subject: Re: [OM] (ot) Eastman Kodak and wild spaces
From: "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:26:46 +0100
Hard not to be hypocritical though, isn't it?  I have been lucky enough to
travel in some very remote places, places in Africa where I was the first
white guy some of the young kids had seen.  Marvellously friendly people
living like they have done for hundreds of years, with only a few
concessions to the modern world.  I've had some incredible experiences in
unspoilt parts of the world, and I've been to places I just know are going
to be swamped by travellers and tourists and hotels before a decade has
passed.  Of course I want things to stay pristine and beautiful, but I've
been there, seen it, inevitably changed it.

I tried to give a good impression of Europeans and respect the cultures and
customs I encountered.  I suppose the trouble is that actually a lot of
people don't do that.  More and more people travel, more and more places
become 'touristy', more and more locals generalise about foreigners.  It's
unstoppable but depressing.

Anyway, on that dolorous note - back to desecrating my previously pristine
and wild living room with paint.

Roger